Dagens ord


Ansvar väger tyngre än frihet - Responsibility trumps liberty

28 dec. 2023

Why not jump into the experience machine?

 Paul Bloom: Some thoughts on the experience machine

For me, it’s seems arbitrary to assume any “real” experiences at all, in the sense of (a) representing ground zero in an otherwise potentially endless regress, and (b) being imbued with some “extra” quality (authenticity) to be valued in itself.

The only reason I can see for preferring one “reality” (source of sensory input and output) over another is how the choice impacts other experiencers. I would like my choice to be compatible with as many positive experiences as possible, for as many experiencers as possible. I suspect one reason many people distrust the EM is that it is perceived as an egoistic and/or lonely choice.

But as Chalmers argues in “Reality+” it could, at least in principle, be the more altruistic and sociable choice.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar